03/09/07

President of the hearts





Now Abdul Kalam is not president of India. And I am unhappy that the man I hold in high esteem was denied a second chance discarding the opinion of millions of Indians. I was wondering with my naiveness, why he was denied a second chance! I don’t know the crooked ways of politics and I don’t really understand whose interest politician serve. I find it a blow to the values and intergrity he represents. But as usual, he was the right man in the wrong place.

I am not interested in politicians though I am ineterested in politics. Kalam is not a politician, but still has got all the ingredients of a good politician. He is a good orator, writer, visionary and above all a man of magnetic personality. He is a man of high ideals and simple living. He wasn’t carried away by the power and comforts he enjoyed during his tenure. He made it a point not to misuse his position for any personal advantage. I feel our politicians should learn certain basic things from this man of flawless personality who inspired immense of tender hearts in this country.

When Pratibha Patil’s name figured from nowhere, many were trumpeting about the chance of first woman President in India. Politicians were segregated between the narrow considerations of Maharashtrian and non Maharashtrian blood. But what does it matter to a country, which was ruled by a woman Prime minister as early as 60’s? And Indira Gandhi did nothing extra ordinary to emancipate women.

His stepping down pained me for sure. I don’t know him personaly, I havn’t ever seen him in person, but I look up to him as a father or as a Guru (teacher). I feel not only Indians but all humanity should draw inspiration from his life and should imbibe from his noble ideals. APJ Abdul Kalam is a great son of India and was a great President. He will dwell in millions of hearts as the President of the people.

No comments: