29/10/14

Himalayan task of Cleaning India

    Prime minister Narendra Modi’s cleanliness drive is laudable, though he had chosen he cleanest part of Delhi to broom after  littering it for him to ‘clean’, so that I have reason to doubt the sincerity of the same. Had he been serious, he would have chosen the dirtiest part of Delhi(there is no dearth of it in the city)to initiate his cleanliness drive. Having said that, I think this is the first time a Prime minister voiced the need for cleaning our country. But how we are going to make India a filth free country? Indians are of the habit of cleaning their home and throwing the garbage on the street/road or any place that do not belong to “them.” We are used to live in a cocoon of our home among a heap of filth just outside or walk through dirty paths, as if it does not exist at all. I remember a French photo journalist asked me once the reason of our ‘indifference’ to the filth around us, I wish I would know the answer.Perhaps we are  a selfish race,so that nothing(including environment) beyond our immediate family do concern us or we are too passive to do something about it. Anyways, I feel it is not easy to get rid of the ‘culture’ that we are grown up with. We do not educate our kids in home/schools about the importance of cleanliness or hardly have any effort to make them aware the necessity of taking care of environment

  So proper awareness drive with penalty to those litter the public places is important as a baby step towards a clean India. I feel Indians are generally not self- disciplined, we need someone to impose strict measures on us (just to have a look at our railway stations or bus stations would enlighten one about this), so penalty is essential to make cleanliness mission a success.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Modi ji's Efforts are laudable and are beyond doubts..
I do agree on some aspects put-up by you, But I do not agree on many aspects put up by you...
1. I have to control many a times for hours in search of a urinal at many places in India.. and many a times then I am forced to urinate in open.
2. I have to hold on for hrs the small piece of garbage in my hand in search of right place to discard it, before I am forced to throw it in the open like others.
3. Before blaming Indians and putting it as our culture to throw away garbage or pissing in open.. or even thinking of penalizing them, we must provide infrastructure for these like dust bins / garbage collection points / public toilets etc at many many convenient locations like we have the facilities at Airports....
4. Garbage collection and management by Municipal corporations is very poor.
5. use of bio-garbage for productive purposes have to be encouraged at every village and town levels..
6. Much more to write... but I am not good in writing...
Kuwlant