03/02/10

When i was a Communist...

I was a co-traveller of communism as a dreamy teenager- may be I prefer to call me rather a romantic revolutionary. The place I was born is the cradle of communism in Kerala that caters to my ideal dreams of a paradise on earth by revolution, as many teenagers of my area. Like many communists I questioned God who distributed inequality, suffering and illness. And it was a fashion among communists to discard Gandhiji and hail people like Lenin, Stalin and Mao.

Probably you can’t be a communist all through your life, it is perhaps a temporary resort of a disturbed soul. Revolutionary ideas sprout where there is frustration, pain and sorrow. My frustration arose from the sufferings and pain in the society despite my personal pains. It is natural for any thinking teenager to get attracted to such ideologies that promise a world devoid of injustice. Besides in Kerala many intellectuals, artists and writers were part of this movement.

Violence and ugly side of campus politics was an eye-opener to my communist dreams. I realized that communism lack humanity and concentrate all energy on the material aspect of life. (Any idealogy based on pure materialism is hollow and thus lack the spiritual depth that is the very essence of existence.)
Young minds are used (even brain washed sometime) to celebrate and secure power and authority. I couldn’t digest my innocent friends turn to blood-thirsty animals incase of a fight with opposite group. That was when I mentally distanced from this utopian idealogy.

Now communism for me is a lost paradise that probably exist only in dream. History proved that communists were the worst massacres and dictators on earth. Any ideology that curtails the freedom of individual would die a natural death. It has to be reformed with time, otherwise communism may lose its relevance in modern times.

1 comment:

Dāvids Kleiners said...

How true Seena You wrote:
Any ideology that curtails the freedom of individual would die a natural death.