04/07/09

Happy Laos




Laos? When I told some of my compatriots that I am going to Laos, they looked at me with a question in their eyes, ‘is that a country?’. Laos is hardly heard, but I was so surprised to see the amount of tourists in this land locked country. I had cherished pleasant feeling thinking that it might be a primitive country having virgin forests. Yes it is blessed with 70% forest -land but tourist friendly and much modern. And Laos is one of the less populated country in Asia.

After much unrest and civil war communism took over in 1975, and rule the country with a one party system. But that hasn’t affected their Buddhist way of life, though initially they were discouraged to become monks. In today’s Laos both Communism and Buddhism live together. One can see party flags and prayer flags, or monasteries exit side by side. Even today the prayers at certain monasteries are done in Pali language(language in which Buddha gave his teachings) When I befriended a monk there he invited me to offer prayers, thinking that as an Indian I would understand the language. Though I accepted the invitation, I conveyed my illiteracy in Pali language.
Pha Lak Pha Lam, or the Indian version of Ramayana is the most popular classic literature.

People of Laos are laid back and friendly and add flavour of fun even at work as they consider stressing too much is unhealthy for both the mind and body. Lao beer is the national drink and considered as pride of nation. As not an industrialized country, they have to depend heavily on neighbouring countries as Thailand, China and Vietnam for trade and consumer products. Capital Vientiane is a small town but clean and orderly that would slip into slumber after 9pm. Though not ‘modern’ in the strict sense of the term, you will get all the cuisines of world over there. I had some delicious Indian food from a restaurant own by a Bangladeshi. Lao cuisine lack the depth and delicacy of Thai food, but I tried some soup and sticky rice. Surprisingly life in Laos is costlier than in Thailand.

Luang Prabhang, the ancient capital is a mountainous place blanketed with lush greenery. It is on the banks of Mekong river, which adds charm to the city. Unesco listed it in the world heritage list. As a former French colony, the elegant wooden buildings bear the mark of French architecture. This sleepy town extends its calmly elegance to tourists lavishly. A ride around the outskirts of city is quite refreshing with its green landscapes and perfumes of frangipanis, which is a symbol of Laos.

The malls that mushroom in Laos are flooded with cheap Chinese products. They have imitations of almost all the big brands in the world. The huge jewellery market, mostly sell imitation of gold and other jewelleries. Though considered poor country, I
havn't seen any beggars on the road. People seem quite content with their simple way of life.


Laos culture and way of living is slightly similar to Thailand. Women seem free and run many business at least in cities. Unlike in Thailand where girls are in western robes, I have seen many girls wearing their traditional dress. It was so lovely to see the girls in their traditional dress.
Though not a road less traveled, Laos still reminds me of a lost land in the mountains, which I would like to explore again.

No comments: