05/03/09

Mumbai meri Jan





Mumbai slum life is romanticized by Robert Gregory Davids in his book ‘Shantaram’. Now ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ adds glamour to its slums. But there is a Mumbai beyond its slums and poverty, beyond bollywood and sky scrappers. Glamour, penury, beauty, dirtiness, dreams, frustrations - all stay hand in hand here. But one must probably find that by oneself.

When I decided to move there, my friends discouraged me saying it a dustbin of Asia. They told me that you can’t cope with the fast life of the megalopolis. As someone from a small place in Kerala, life in Mumbai seemed quite scaring for me. Underworld rivalry, riots, bollywood, crowded local train - Mumbai was a mix of all in my imagination. Besides, I never lived in a big city before. Yet I thought better to explore by myself than seeing things through somebody’s eyes (I have a tendency to take decisions by myself eventhough I respect others advices).

But Mumbai changed my perception, my attitude and I found out myself in the faceless crowd. I found myself in a brave, confident and young Mumbai. I became a more confident person. I met bhayyas, bongs, mallus and Gujjus (local term used for people of different languages) there. In my office there might be a Bengali sitting one side, and a Parsi opposite (those who are from Persia). But there we are all ‘Mumbaikar’. This cultural mix was so appealing to me and an opportunity to learn. Mumbai opened the door of a new world before me.

There are prostitutes and bar girls who land in this city to make a quick buck. There are pimps around you in railway stations and at crowded places to trap those helpless girls who run away from home to evade violence or poverty. When I travelled in the crowded local train among smelling fisher women, I would regret for being there, when I saw people shitting on road I would chose to shut my eyes and nose against this city. When I saw beggars follow you like an illness I would curse our poverty.

Yet I would wake up with a new hope next morning, I would go to south Mumbai and buy an export quality dress at a cheap price, I would go to a road side book vendor to buy even the latest book at a lower rate. What not, there is drama, dance, music, painting to feed your mind and heart. If you are still hungry, you can relish on Mumbai Burger (Vada Pav). It won’t cost you much. Street food culture is very active in Mumbai. Besides Vada pav, there are Sev Puri, Pani Puri, Dahi Puri and different kinds of chatts to make you feel the taste of Mumbai. On sitting at the sea side near Gateway of India, you can dream of Taj. Mumbai is charming even in her dirtiness, She is like a bewitching woman who beckons to you even when ugly. She has a caring soul, and there is life in Mumbai.

Mumbai survived riots, terrorism, underworld blood bath. Many build up their business empire here from nothing. Many became rich and famous. Mumbai is the back born of Indian economy. Everything is possible in this city of opportunity. There is a local joke about Mumbai that ‘you can buy anything here except your parents’. Rich and poor alike pour in here insearch of a better future. Whether it is a fugitive from Australia or a beggar from a remote village of India; she receives all with an open arm. she reminds me the words of one small business man from UP that ‘In Mumbai nobody die of hunger’. They say Mumbai is blessed by Mumba devi(Goddess Mumba).

Many faces composes Mumbai: this is the city of ivory tower dwellers and slum dwellers alike. City of celebrities and road side vendors. City of those employees who ran faster than fast train. Here nobody asks you questions about your home, parents or religion. Nobody interfere in your affairs, even house maids maintain a dignity in dealing with you. It is a place where you can have your individual space in the crowd, and besides safer to women than any other Indian cities. I am happy I chose to come to Mumbai. I always love you Mumbai.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is nice. In books like Shantaram or movies like Slumdog people see only one side of the city. This is same I say about Delhi. I have been living in Delhi for the last 7 years and belong to a small town. There were lines in your blog when I smiled and ones when I learnt new things like Mumba devi and you can find everything except parents. Very right. My friend from Mumbai is here we discuss a lot about Mumbai & delhi. So now I have some more things to say during our discussions. I loved your comments. Will read others and let you know.

Devesh (CS)