27/07/08

Green Sikkim



Nature is spectacular everywhere. When you travel to a new place, its mountains and oceans may remind you of the last one you have seen. It is my first visit to Sikkim, or any north east state of India for that matter. This hill state reminds me of Mcleodganj with its mountains attired in green. But there ends the resemblance. India is the abode of many cultures, languages and religions, and north eastern states are as different as four southern states in many respects. I feel it is the people that bring the real charm to any place. Here also I met a couple of nice souls.

Gangtok, the capital of Sikkim is a well planned city and clean compared to other Indian townes - may be the cleanest and greenest in India. People are friendly and disciplined; I was so relieved here as I come from chaotic places. This state is the most peaceful in India, here communal violence, quarrels or shouting don't disrupt the tranquility of the place. I haven't seen any single beggar here and foot path vendors too are alien to this place.

Buddhism has got a huge influence on the society. Buddhist monasteries are the landmark of this green state. There are many monasteries as well monks also. The graceful architecture of this monasteries are real feast to the eyes. Buddhism came here from Tibet and Tibetan influence can be seen in the cuisines and attires. There are quite a few Tibetan origin Indians here.



Women also are more empowered than in the rest of India. I have seen young girls in modern outfits, selling flowers and vegetables in market. They were not stared while buying liquors - in fact I haven't never seen any girl buying liquor in any part of India. Kavita, the student convener of SDF (Sikkim Democratic Front) says she feels proud of Sikkim as women are more free and there is no dowry system here. Her parents are supportive of her political activities and there is no parental pressure to get marry, she says with a warm smile.

But as an independent kingdom till 1975, many here don't feel like Indians. It is evident when they say, 'Indians speak loudly'. When I asked about this to my friend who is an engineer with Sikkim govt, he responded, 'Have you seen anybody in the parliament who look like me?'. Sadly, Indian politics is controlled by politicians from hindi belt where even literacy is below the national average. And Sikkim has only one parliament seat! So is other north eastern states also.

I will leave Gangtok tomorrow, but I will miss the greenery and the warm smile of the people in this little green state.

1 comment:

Rajesh Gajra said...

Very interesting & apt observations, Seena. It cheers me to note that Sikkim women are much more truly liberate than the mainstream Indian states. As a Bombayite and a mainstream Indian urbanite I have noticed that female liberation is more superficial than deep in the mainstream Indian urban cities. - Rajesh